Thursday, December 11, 2008

Checkers with Tyler

I am 31 years old and I just learned to play checkers a few months ago. At 5 1/2 Tyler learned to play checkers and beats me EVERY time. I can...maybe...count on one hand how many times I have beat him--actually, I think I have only won 1 or 2 times. I really don't like checkers. Actually, it's a bit annoying to me. In the end, you just chase each other around the board--until I just give up. Tyler hasn't figured out yet, that I give up. And, what's more annoying is after I move, Tyler will say, "you could have jumped me" or " you should have gone here and then ......" One day I asked him how he got so good at Checkers. He looked straight at my and said without hesitation, "you should ask Grandpa Balzer to teach you." Well, there you have it. I guess I'll ask my dad !!

Here's Tyler after beating me last week. Notice all the black on the board....I was not black!

I try very hard every afternoon to do something alone with Tyler while the little ones are sleeping. I will work in my office first and then make sure I leave time to play a game with him or do something he wants to do. He usually wants to play Checkers. Lately, I have been asking, "can we play any game but Checkers." I'm glad Christmas is around the corner, maybe we'll get a few new games to play.

One day last week, I was getting beat quite badly and I think I was getting a little upset that he kept double jumping me. Tyler says to me, "it's ok if you get jumped mom, as long as you have fun." WELL----not really! and who taught him that anyway? (I guess he does listen to me.)

No comments: