Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Feasts

This THANKSGIVING season we talked a lot at our house about things we were THANKFUL for.  We talked at almost every dinner meal (and some other meals too) about what we were thankful for.  The kids would each say what they were thankful for and then of course mom and dad. 
(Some nights I wanted to say---I am thankful we're going to bed early tonight!) 
 But, I refrained from those "thankful thoughts!!"

One night, I had the great idea to have each person tell what they were thankful about---for all the other members of the family.  This was a great IDEA!!  It took A LOONNGGGG TIME! 
But, the kids' faces really did brighten up when they heard all the nice things that were said 
about them.  Tyler would then suggest we do it this way several other nights.
(I will confess, a few times I told him let's just each say 1 thing we're thankful for.)

We are talking a lot of being GRATEFUL and APPRECIATIVE!
My kids have always been appreciative of little things, but I want them to understand that we have A LOT compared to many other families and other kids.  I try to say the words, "grateful" and "appreciative" as much as I can.

For example...if someone complains about dinner, I will say, 
"Do I hear someone being unappreciative for the food we have???"

It really does quiet them up quickly!!

THANKFULNESS was also talked about at school.

Paige's school had a FEAST!  Check out this table.
I helped decorate and serve for the feast.  I walked into the room and saw this 
LOOONNNNNGGGGG table and was amazed!  The kids were amazed as well.

A feast for a 4 year old...yum yum!!!!

Spencer and Paige
Paige informed me that he was her Best Friend!
(I am pretty sure he was just her best friend for that moment---because I have never heard his name before this day!!)



Ms. Ginger's class--we LOVE Ms. Ginger.  She is so awesome with these kids.
She has taught Pre-school for 28 years.  And STILL LOVES it!!
WOW!!  

This is Paige, "taking a bubble".  
This helps the kids remember not to talk in the hall-way.  On the way to the gym for the Feast, Paige told her teacher, "I cannot hold my bubble that whole way" (because basically you are holding your breath.)
The teacher told her she could get a breath and then "take another bubble"

Paige probably meant---she could not go that long without TALKING!!!!
She LOVES TO TALK!!!

Jaden had a feast at school too.
He was a Pilgrim and the other class, Indians!

I helped at his Feast too!  (you can't help at one and not the other)
But, this is one thing I am THANKFUL FOR---that I can go to all my kids' special events 
at school and work in their classrooms!!  


In Kindergarten, you get an Indian Name.  Jaden was BIG BUFFALO!
Here, Jaden can't decide if he is an Indian or a Pilgrim!

Happy Thanksgiving!! 
We have done a great job of being THANKFUL in November and we are 
going to continue being THANKFUL for the rest of the year!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

whoah, that is a big long table!

Man, Paige's hair is really getting long - I really noticed in these pictures.