Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Halloween Fun

We started our Halloween morning with orange sprinkle donuts, topped with gummy worms. Doesn't that sound Halloweenish?

Tyler was out of school, so I was going to take the 3 kids to the Pumpkin patch. Tyler had gone with his school, but I had not had a chance to take the little ones. I got on the computer to get directions...to find that all the pumpkin patches around us, were closed. WHAT?? It was Halloween. I guess they don't stay open for those parents who procrastinate. So, what to do now.


These are the pumpkins Tyler got from the Pumpkin patch--when he went with his Kindergarten class. (This is what they looked like when he brought them home.) Good picks Tyler!! Luckily, Aunt Barb and Uncle Jim had brought each kid a pumpkin from their "patch" so we did have good pumpkins. I decided we would go to the garage and carve pumpkins. Now, to me, carving pumpkins is a DAD job. My dad did it with us, therefore Steve should do it with our kids. But, Steve was at work and I needed something to do with the kids.

I took the markers outside and let the little kids just draw on their pumpkins. THEY LOVED IT! They were busy for some time. Never mind their clothes were covered in marker, but they had fun. At one point, Jaden was using the markers like sidewalk chalk on the driveway. I started to stop him, then decided...what's the big deal.
Tyler and I did the carving. Actually, I let Tyler to his all by himself. He did a great job. I just had to watch him and keep telling him to get his fingers out of the way of the knife. He thought he was big and kept telling me not to help him. And, we only got one SMALL cut on his finger. It was a success.
And, then came cleaning out the pumpkins. If Jaden could do it, then anyone can. He's the kid who doesn't like anything different, mushy, yucky, etc. He doesn't really like to try new things. But, he did this, even though it was yucky!
To McDonald's we went for Halloween lunch--Happy Meals all around!
Time to put on our costumes and get ready for our Halloween party!
This is the 2nd year we have had a Neighborhood Halloween party. We gather in our garage at 6pm, everyone brings a soup to share, we eat and then we leave to go trick-or treating. The kids get hot dogs and sugar cookies to decorate! Last year we just through it together last minute. This year we had some decorations, Halloween plates, etc. and Halloween music. Next year we are going to add games for the kids.
Tyler and his friend Jarod Givens. (Jarod doesn't live in our neighborhood--they just came for fun.)

Paige and Leah Wilkinson. Paige is enjoying her "Halloween" cookie. She choose not to decorate hers.
Jaden and Mary Kate Wagoner. Please note--we did not give Jaden any instructions except, "get with Mary Kate for a picture." This is how he stood. oh my....it looks more like middle school, not 3 year olds. Mary Kate is in Jaden's Sunday School class and she is his new best friend at church. He talks about Mary Kate all the time.

The kids at the party--or the ones that were left when we took the picture. Our neighborhood has so many kids, it's great. Even though most of the neighborhood is girls--Tyler and Jaden don't seem to mind.
We trick-or-treated around the neighborhood and then Princess Paige was ready for bed. It was a FUN day!

No comments: