One thing on our SUMMER FUN CHECK-LIST was SWIM LESSONS!
This year we tried swim lessons at Goddard Municpal pool. The last 2 years Tyler has had private lessons at our community pool---across the street from our house.
This was convienent. But, I wanted to try something new.
I remember EVERY summer, FOREVER...
I had to take Red-Cross swim lessons. And I mean FOREVER!!!!
So, I wanted to try Red-Cross certified lessons for our kids.
I really liked that the kids learned WATER SAFETY and that the teachers has specific SKILLS
they HAD to teach the kids.
Tyler did not want to do swim-lessons-- said he didn't like them (from past experience).
He really liked them this year. I think It's just more fun to do it with other kids!!
Either Steve or I would sit at each lesson, outside, and WATCH!! Each time Jaden would do a skill, he would right away look at us to make sure we were watching. If I happened to not see what he had done---I would still give him a THUMBS UP when he looked at me!! And, let me tell you....he looked over at us EVERY SINGLE time he did anything!! It was super cute!
Lessons were for 2 weeks--50 minutes a day!
That's a lot of lessons, a lot of driving, a lot of disrupting our regualr schedule.
But---I can tell both boys gained lots of skills. I think the repitition of every day for 2 weeks helped a lot.
I also like that at the end we got a check-list of what they could do and what they need to be able to do to pass their level. Neither boy passed their level, which is fine. So--we'll do level 2 and 3 again next summer! But, I know they have learned a lot. Both boys were the youngest in their groups. But, I would rather them be in a higher level group and not pass than be in any easy class and pass!
Overall, it was a good experience!
So---next summer we will do it again.
That's what summer is about, right?? Learning to SWIM!!!!




No comments:
Post a Comment