Sunday, July 5, 2009

Barbie Cake

Paige had a Barbie birthday so I thought I would attempt to make her a Barbie cake. (When Tyler turned 1 Steve and I attempted to make Tyler a tractor cake for his birthday. It was a mess...to say the least... and luckily my friend Kelly came over and helped us fix the cake a few hours before the party! It was a nightmare because Steve and I both have personalities that "we can do it" and we don't want the others opinion or help. That doesn't work too well---especially when neither of has really had a clue on how to decorate a cake!!) So, this time I enlisted Amanda's help with the Barbie cake and mom came along too to help!! It was a fun morning!
This is the reason I don't like to do things like.....make cakes! My kitchen was a COMPLETE disaster! As you can see---I got my big mixer out that I have not used in maybe 8 years (I got it for a wedding gift 9 years ago!) We made frosting from scratch---and it was AWESOME!!!! I did not make the cake from scratch----the box was just great!!

And, here' Princess herself. She is the only reason I attempted to make the cake. I knew she would love it!!



And, here's the finished project. I was quite impressed with it. Total it took us 4 hours. (that does NOT include baking the cakes!) But, it does include letting it set in the freezer a couple times in between layers and decorating! I looked at TONS of Barbie cakes on-line and took aspects of different cakes that I liked to make this one! Of course, Paige's had to be PINK!!!


Time to cut the cake now---all the hard work and it's going to be crushed!! But, I was pleased it even tasted good! The frosting, was amazing!!! It looks like a small cake, but it fed 16 people with no trouble.

For our cake, we took the legs off the Barbie and just stuck her in the top of the cake a little. Jaden was VERY concerned about Barbie losing her legs. He kept asking (for 2 days) when we would put her legs back on, when we were going to take Barbie out of the cake, etc. That's all he could talk about. So, when it was time to cut the cake, I let Jaden pull Barbie out of the top. And, here's him just looking at the Barbie.....still not sure what to think.
And, now we've decided to just keep the top of Barbie because I will probably make another cake similar to this, again, and Amanda will make one at some point for Taylor, and anyone else can borrow Barbie's top 1/2 too.
SO---now I get to make Jaden a basketball cake and who knows what Tyler will come up with in January for his cake. Then, after I have made each kid one "cool" cake, then we'll re-evaluate and see if we continue this tradition or not!!

No comments: